Coaching or pupil activity permits are required for individuals who will direct, supervise or coach a student activity program that involves athletics, routine or regular physical activity or activities with health and safety considerations. School districts determine which staff members need to have a permit. Those who wish to apply for a permit through the Ohio Department of Education’s Office of Educator Licensure must complete the requirements outlined here.
In addition to the coaching (pupil activity) permit – three year, there are two new coaching permits (four-year or five-year) available to certain teachers and administrators who hold specific types of educator licenses.
A three-year permit if you hold:
- No other educator credential;
- An educator credential other than one of those listed under B. or C.
A four-year permit if you hold:
- Either a four-year resident educator license; or
- A four-year alternative resident educator license.
A five-year permit if you hold:
- Either a five-year professional license;
- Five-year senior professional license; or
- Five-year lead professional license.
|1. Fundamentals of Coaching – The National Federation of State High School Associations presents this series of online modules. (One-time training)|
|2. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training – Every so often, Jonathan Greathouse offers the First Aid Training at Ravenna High School. Contact the AD if you’re interested.|
|3. First Aid for Coaches – Every so often, Jonathan Greathouse offers the First Aid Training at Ravenna High School. Contact the AD if you’re interested.|
|4. Concussion Training – Complete one of the hour-long courses that are free if you follow directions on the Ohio Department of Health website. The online courses are each valid for three years.
Prepare for the online application
- Make sure you have a SAFE account. If you are certain you do not have a SAFE account, set one up following the instructions here.
- If you have a SAFE account but do not remember the user name or password, follow the prompts in the blue sign-in box on the SAFE portal to reset your password. Please do not set up a second SAFE account. If you need assistance, you may contact (877) 644-6338 or SAFE.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IRN – Ask your district for its Information Retrieval Number (IRN).
Use a set-by-step guide while completing the online application
To Check the Application Status
- Log into your SAFE account.
- From the SAFE menu, click on ODE.CORE.
- Select STATUS – My Applications.
- Under Status, your application will say one of the following:
- Waiting for Approver Signature – signifies that the application is awaiting review and approval by the e-signer at your district. If approved, your application will move forward in the review process.
- Pending review – means that ODE’s Office of Educator Licensure is reviewing the application.
5.If your status is on hold, please read the detailed message within the My Applications area (see the Status column) that explains the reason for the “on hold” message. You also will receive an email from the CORE system with this same message, which may ask you to take additional steps before your license request can move forward in the review process.